Every year, thousands of domestic burglaries occur across the United Kingdom. Over 422,000 burglaries were reported in England and Wales in 2019. But now all the cases get resolved due to lack of evidence and resources. As a result, it is always preferable to take preventative measures to avoid becoming a victim of such crimes in the first place. Home security systems, such as burglar alarms and CCTV cameras, are an ideal solution to these problems. However, because there are so many options on the market, people can get overwhelmed. As a security installer, we too have come across this question a lot of times- Which security system is better—a burglar alarm, CCTV, or both?
However, there is no universal answer to this question, as it depends on different factors.
- Do you want a cost-effective solution?
- What features you are looking to have in your security solution?
- Do you need a system that is less complicated to set-up?
- Do you need a system that is easy to operate?
- How frequently do you want to maintain the system?
Let us help you understand how these systems work and what features they have to help you decide which one is best for you.
Burglar Alarm System
A burglar alarm system is a type of home security system. It detects the movement of doors and windows through contacts and sensors attached to it. In case of a break-in, it triggers the alarm. It acts as a burglar deterrent and has helped keep the intruders away. This is why it is considered as one of the efficient security systems.
These alarms are available in different variations with different features. Below are the main categories of alarms.
1) Bells-only alarm
It’s a siren alarm that creates a loud noise when someone breaks in your property. However, it does not contact anyone and is suitable for a low-risk property.
2) Dialler alarm
This type of alarm is a call-alert alarm that triggers a loud noise in case of a break-in. Also, it then automatically dials the contacts that are added to the keyholder list.
3) Monitored alarm
It allows you to monitor your home 24 * 7 and alerts you when a break-in is suspected. It can be either a self-monitored or a third-party monitored alarm. A self-monitored alarm alerts you via a call when there is an intrusion in your property. On the other hand, a third-party monitored alarm lets someone else monitor your property at an additional monthly fee.
4) Smart alarm
A smart alarm comes with a smartphone app that can be used by the user to monitor the activities. You can easily arm and disarm your alarm remotely. Also, you can get all the alerts on your app in case of an intrusion.
5) Wired or Wireless alarm
Wired burglar alarm systems, as the name suggests, are wired alarms with cables to setup. They are a bit complex to install and should be configured by a professional installer. On the other hand, wireless alarms are battery operated and are easier to install. However, they are a bit expensive than wired alarms.
6) Pet-friendly alarm
A pet-friendly alarm comes with special PIR detectors that ignore the movement of your pets inside your home when armed. It, therefore, does not trigger a false alarm. Most alarm systems can be converted to a pet-friendly system by installing a PIR motion sensor.
Key Features of a Burglar Alarm
- Burglar Alarm is a preventive solution designed to prevent burglaries.
- It gives you real-time alerts via loud sirens or phone calls or app alerts. The camera sensors are capable of capturing and sending photos and videos to you.
- The British standard alarm systems and accessories are all tamper-proof. Therefore, it is not easy for an intruder to get past without triggering an alarm.
- It sends you a notification every time the alarm is off. This helps you to take the immediate and necessary action.
- The monitored alarms are capable of alerting third parties or the police in case there is an intrusion.
CCTV is a camera system designed for surveillance and security purposes. Its primary role is to monitor the property by capturing the footage of what’s going on the property. This can be helpful in case of a break-in where you need to catch the offender. Therefore, it is rated as an efficient surveillance tool and is ranked as one of the best burglar deterrents. However, it should be installed in a strategic location to capture footage of all possible entry points.
The monitoring can be done through a smartphone app. It helps you to keep a check on your property when you’re away, giving you peace of mind. It can also alert a third party in case an intrusion is suspected.
This solution is even helpful in a worst-case scenario where a burglary has happened as it helps to provide evidence against the intruder through the footage captured. The police authority always refers to the CCTV footage in such a scenario.
A CCTV system comes with multiple camera sensors. You can, however, choose any one of them depending on your property requirement.
Key Benefits of a CCTV system
- CCTV is a surveillance tool that gathers evidence and monitors the activities on your property.
- It even provides app alerts to you. In fact, monitored CCTV allows a third party to monitor your property and respond to any alerts raised.
- Most of the professional-grade CCTV systems are tamper-proof. However, there’s still a risk that someone might disable or damage the recorders. This can be done by disconnecting the lines from the network recorders.
- The CCTV system is an additional security layer on your property. But it is a bit expensive compared to an alarm system.
- The CCTV system is even capable of capturing images in the dark through the latest high-resolution cameras.
- Detached homes: a 4-camera CCTV system
- Semi-detached homes: a 3-camera/4-camera CCTV system
- Terraced homes: a 2-camera CCTV system
An alarm system combined with a CCTV works best for any type of property. Because it provides a double layer of security to the property.
In general, a low-risk property would require a standard or basic alarm system. On the other hand, a high-risk property would require a monitored alarm system with camera sensors.
Because each property is different, therefore the security parameters and requirement will be different.
You can find a wide range of burglar alarms and CCTV systems available on the market from different brands. However, it is important that you’re investing in a professional-grade system. Don’t end up buying a cheap security system. always prefer quality over price!
It is best to consult a professional specialist who is an SSAIB/NSI certified installer.
If you have a budget constraint and want a cost-effective solution, then you can always go for a burglar alarm. You can also talk to us about your requirements and we guarantee to give the best recommendations for your property. We do offer attractive finance packages as well.